Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Bangers and Mash

Mmmmm, gravy!! I made a gravy/sauce a few nights ago that would make Homer Simpson go crazy. It was paired with some Bratwurst Sausages (Bangers) and mashed potatoes (Mash). I also made my typical light salad that went well with the richness of the mashed potatoes and to make sure everything went through cleanly, I added some baked beans. I almost licked the plate after this one, actually, I did lick the plate. Oh, and this meal would love some companionship and that company could be in a nice pint of Guinness, Heineken, Lowenbrau or just a diet Miller.

Mashed Potatoes (Mash):
  • Put potatoes in a pot with 4-5 cloves of peeled garlic. Add some chicken bullion and any other spices you might want to add. Cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. When a fork can easily poke into the potato, it's done.
  • Mash up the potatoes and garlic with some cream or milk and add salt and pepper to taste.
Gravy:
  • I cooked some bacon in a pan and put that bacon in the salad. In that same pan, I then cooked the already boiled (in beer) bratwurst sausages. With the drippings from that, I added about half a pack of the Publix brand Onion gravy mix with about a cup of milk. I added my traditional spices (cayenne pepper, regular pepper, cajun seasoning, grill seasoning, etc). And you can add a touch of butter, depending how unhealthy you want to get.
  • Is it good for you? No. If you ate it every day would you die from a heart attack at 40? Yes. But you can put this gravy on steaks, add some mushrooms and put it on chicken, you could even throw some apples in there and put it on pork chops. Anyway, this is soul food and anything good for your soul, must be good for your body.

No comments: