If you want a healthy meal that is spicy and has an Asian flair to it, try this one. I made it last night for my dear friends, the Hitchners, and they loved it. Well, they said they did anyway. I mean they didn't go running off to the balcony or a trash can. If you want, you can add to the decor and the overall loveliness of the meal by eating on a beer pong table like we did. Basically, just buy a 8 by 4 foot piece of strong plywood and put it on top of another table and you have a beer pong/dining room table. It really helps out with the overall atmosphere and ambiance.
Anyway, here are the ingredients:
- Shrimp, bigger the better
- 1/2 cup of Orange Juice, maybe a bit more
- 3 tblspns soy sauce
- 2 tblspns honey
- 2 tblspns rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tblspns chile paste with garlic (sambal oelek)
- Canola Oil
- 2 tlbnspn minced fresh ginger
- 4 garlic gloves
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Sprinkle the shrimp with the cornstarch and toss well to coat, but only a thin coating
- Combine the juice, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, and chile past in a bowl and whisk thoroughly. The recipe doesn't call for Cayenne pepper or pepper flakes, but I put them in anyway and it was worth it. It made it quite spicy, but no sissy boys or girls here.
- Heat the Canola oil in a large wok over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and stir fry for about 30 seconds or until you can smell it. Add shrimp and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Then finally add the juice mixture and the onions and cook until the shrimp are done and the sauce thickens.
I think you'll like it. If you don't, call my dad because he's the one who gave me the recipe.